My POD moment, 2005

Why do I write this now ?
Répondre
Leadbest

My POD moment, 2005

Message par Leadbest »

Hi fellas, Im still alive even though nature is trying hard to kill me.

Two weeks ago, I survived an auto accident. Afterwards, all I could think about was POD.

We had about 40cm of snow, which melted somewhat and froze again. So the road was pure ice. Coming down a long hill I got run off the road by another vehicle. It was either hit him or drive off. Anyway I drove off thiniking it would be easy to do because I was going into the ditch on the inside of a big corner. I thought I would be able to drive back up onto the road at the end of the corner. What I did not see is the culvert sticking out... a BIB culvert I didnt know was there, one about 6 meters in diameter. This section of road is being rebuilt, and this huge pipe was added at the bottom of the hill in the middle of the corner.

I was sliding down the ditch and drove straight into the culvert, going about 30-40kph, and my car drove up the wall of the tube and UPSIDE DOWN then back onto the wheels. The car exited the tube into a frozen pool of water about 2m deep (thats where the survival part comes in). My car was broken thru the ice and filling up with water, very COLD goddamned water. I had to go out the window and crawl across the top of my car to the edge of the ice, then crawled spread-eagle across to the bank. It all seemed to happen really fast, I didnt even realize I had a big cut on one of my legs and the top of my head until another cars headlights illuminated me, dripping red water onto the ground. The cold turned me numb and I didnt feel anything at all.

I now have 14 stiches in the top of my head, 26 in my left leg, and really bad headaches once in a while. Strangely when I think back about the wreck, it feels just like when Im doing the shortcut in Pipeline, only falling into water instead of back onto the track. Its weird how after many years, I still associate my bad driving with bad POD playing. I never got hurt this bad playing POD thou, unless you count when I smashed a keyboard with my fist, LOL.

Anyway, glad to still be here. BTW, I need another BMW 320i, anybody got one cheap?
grokon

Message par grokon »

Wow ... this is quite bad !
Hopefully, you were alone in the car ! I just wonder if one think about the others in the cars when such a situation happens !
I think you will never play trackmania since there is this Snow car, which goes through pipes ...

I just hope you will recover soon, and that all this will just be a bad remember !

Wish you the best Lead !
noirdemars

Re: My POD moment, 2005

Message par noirdemars »

Leadbest a écrit : Two weeks ago, I survived an auto accident. Afterwards, all I could think about was POD.
Yes.Sometimes when I enjoy driving (carefully) on snow or when I take weird trajectories on the road I feel like I'm playing POd too...
Dangerous...:LOL:

I hope you'll be OK as soon as possible.:)
Bandie

Message par Bandie »

Hi Dean, really hard story. Nice to read, that's your okay after that horror scenario.

BTW: in the meantime i found a alternativ to pod: driving small racing RC F1-Cars on that indoor track with PC lap-counter
Details look here: http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/thread. ... f490e7237d

best regards, Bandie
Freddy

Crash code

Message par Freddy »

Hi LB:

Being a Poddie you should know better than to use the "Crash Code" before you drive off to any place. :roll:

And also the "Control-Y" is very useful after a crash. :pfioouuuu:

I am very glad that you survived the ordeal and came out ok. :ACDC:

You see as I said before on another post, a "Poddie is always a Poddie" no matter where you are. You were thinking about POD in your moment of despair. ;)

Get well soon, and perhaps we can race again on IO where it is much safer. :rob:

P.S. The first track we'll race is "Pipeline", on second thought "Heaven" :casse:
Steve

Message par Steve »

Dean:

It sounds like your Pod driving skills saved you since you actually went THROUGH the culvert instead of hitting it. Damn lucky I'd say. Anyway I hope you are feeling better.

I don't know if you would remember me from the old forums, but I was the guy trying to get everybody to try the Dreamcast version of Pod. That chapter is closed because the DC servers closed. Final results there was a guy from Singapore #1, a guy from Brazil #2, and me #3 from USA. So we did OK.

I am back to PC Pod now & have it running in case you would like to IP race sometime. Maybe we could form team USA vs team Europe. LOL

Glad you're OK
Steve
Leadbest

Message par Leadbest »

Steve a écrit : It sounds like your Pod driving skills saved you since you actually went THROUGH the culvert instead of hitting it.
LOL. Actually, no skill was involved. I was in the culvert and upside down before I even saw it coming.

Went over there and talked my wife thru the accident. Looking at the scene makes it hard to believe. The car slid thru about 20m of tube, corkscrewed upside down and back to the bottom without the tires losing contact. The body of the car is almost unscratched, but the driver side window was broken out by my head, I think. I still dont know how my leg got cut up. The car is basically ruined by water, the engine is ruined it has bent rods... sux because its a $3,000 replacement... hurts more than my head does.
Leadbest

Message par Leadbest »

Bandie a écrit :BTW: in the meantime i found a alternativ to pod: driving small racing RC F1-Cars on that indoor track with PC lap-counter
Details look here: http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/thread. ... f490e7237d
Hi Bandie.

About 20 years ago, I used to drive 1/12 scale on-road electric cars in the winter. We use to place orange road-cones around to make the track border, racing on the floor of a gymnasium.

We had to roll the tires in silicon sealant, let it dry overnight, and then race on them. The silicon would give the tires good traction on the slippery floor.

I used to drive a BoLink car. I dont know if that company is still in business. It sure was a good car though.

That track you are using looks quite small compared to what we used, but looks pretty fun and more detailed than ours. We had to call out our names when we completed a lap, so the person counting would put a mark next to our name on a sheet of paper.

I still have all my cars. Some are dirt cars, but most are on road cars. I havent driven any of them for years though, maybe its time.
Siklist

Message par Siklist »

quite a frightening story !
Glad to see you're ok LB
Vortex

Message par Vortex »

Damn that's creepy. I'm glad you things turned out well in the end. :shock:
BJ

Message par BJ »

crazy story LB.
but afterall it ended up OK.
so one can see what POD is good for.
try to get it up running and we meet back on IO via IP-racin.
all the best for you.
greetz BJ
Répondre