Errors in installation - please help!

Every Podheads know the meaning of this section
Répondre
Pod fan

Errors in installation - please help!

Message par Pod fan »

I cant get the forcefeedback-patch to install, i get the message "Executable not defined in config"
I also sometimes get the message "file I/O"
And when i try to run pod without the forcefeedback-patch i can watch the opening video but i am then told to put the pod cd in the drive- even when it is. I really want to get this working, pod is a brilliant game. I have Windows Xp and an AMD system- please help.
Mercury

Message par Mercury »

I suggest uninstall POD (and manually remove the Ubisoft folders - one will be in your windows folder) and start over.

What are all the steps you're taking? Make sure you read the instructions here:
http://www.bredel.homepage.t-online.de/ ... glish.html

You should also install each patch twice before moving to the next one. For some reason I have problems if I don't install the 3dfx patch twice. I can't see how it would hurt to do the same for all of them.
Pod Fan

Message par Pod Fan »

Thanks for the help- however, i have tried starting over again, without success- i still got the same message "Executable not defined in config"
when i tried to install the forcefeedback-patch. I am following all the instructions on the site you mentioned.
I have not installed each patch twice before moving on- do you think this will work, considering that i cannot install the forcefeedback patch even once?
Please help
HolgerB

Message par HolgerB »

The message "Executable not defined in config" appears, if you try to patch a POD executable that is not defined in UsePatch.ini. The UsePatch.ini of the forcefeedback-patch lists the following executables that can be patched:

PODMMX.EXE
PODATIX.EXE
PODS3DX.EXE
PODX3DFX.EXE
PODPVRX.EXE
PODD3DX.EXE
WINPOD.EXE
WPODS3D.EXE
WPODATI.EXE
WPOD3DFX.EXE
WPODD3D.EXE
WPODPVR.EXE
PODMAX64.EXE
PODFXM64.EXE

Look in the folder where you have installed POD for one of the above files. If it is not there, then you have made something wrong. Look at my POD page http://www.bredel.homepage.t-online.de/ ... glish.html again. I have just updated it with important informations for owners of the OEM version of POD.

Greetings and good luck,
Holger
Mercury

Message par Mercury »

Yeah, that's how it's supposed to work, but my experience with the 10X21E patch says that "Executable not defined" can happen even if the executable is in that list. During my experimentation I even tried modifying that list to put the correct executable at the top - still didn't work.

Yes, I think it often helps to install the patches twice. My setup won't work at all if I don't install the 3DFX patch twice, and often the 10X21E patch will abort early (before updating all the files) and running it again fixes the problem.

Make sure you're using the right version of the force feedback patch (which version are you using?)
Mercury

Message par Mercury »

Also, "Executable not defined in config" means the patch didn't finish properly, but it does not mean that it failed completely.

After the FFB patch "fails" try launching POD directly from the executable - it just might work.
HolgerB

Message par HolgerB »

It can also mean that the executable has the wrong file size. For example, there are different versions of PODX3DFX.EXE and if you try to patch the "wrong" version you get this message. But if you install the 3dfx patch twice (as you mentioned it) and then install the forcefeedback patch, everything should be all right.
Mercury

Message par Mercury »

Hmm, makes sense.

But, given that 10X21E can't handle all the EXEs it's supposed to, and the 3DFX patch doesn't finish the job the first time around, I wouldn't be surprised if the FFB patch had problems of its own.

UBI's track record with patches isn't exactly stellar. :D
Répondre