How i got Pod to work on a p4 system

News from IO
DeltaFX

Message par DeltaFX »

BJ a écrit :i think that the easiest way for solving all these probs is the following:
buy or build up a small comp with all that "old" stuff like Voodoo3 graphics adapter, pentium 3 with maybe 450-750mhz and so on. as OS chose win98se. this is best for playing "old" games beside POD. it is cheap cause all the parts you can buy on ebay or somewhere else. you have maximum :D fun and least stress :evil:
this is my personal solution.
greetz BJ
I'd say a SLIed pair of V2, p3 1ghz, POD Gold +3DFXPatch and a complete install ghosted on a DVDR
BJ

Message par BJ »

hehehe, one can say that in former times everything was better.
i know my first contact with the "GLIDE" virus.
i had an matrox mystique (4MB) and the voodoo 1 (4MB). oohh, what a feeling. i made an update to matrox millenium 2 (8MB) and the voodoo 2 (8MB). everything was getting better if you had the right combination of drivers. the last voodoo card i owned was the brilliant voodoo 5 5500. a dual processor card with 64MB. as i put this card into the comp i needed a new power supply cause the old one was too weak. this card is RIP cause somehow it burned. now i have the "old" voodoo 3 3000 card in my "POD-comp". this combination works fine and is really cheap. as cpu i have an pentium 3 with 750mhz.
and what can i say: all the games using the GLIDE mode like POD, INCUBATION, WING COMMANDER PROPHECY and all the stuff from UBI is running just fine. so i save the "old" games and it is fun playing this kind of games. IMO the gameplay of the "old" games is in most cases better than the newer ones. the programmers had to look for that the game is working and not like today that the graphics is the only thing.
greetz BJ
Bandie

Message par Bandie »

...that's right BJ. BTW: When you like to make a pod online race via IP,
just let me know. Hope it works for you as well.

regards, Bandie
DeltaFX

Message par DeltaFX »

Beside its GLide's looks, WIngCommander Prophecy is crap compared to WingCommander IV, The Price Of Freedom.
rojak

Message par rojak »

Anonymous a écrit :Hmm... I think that that cpuid patch works, actually. I tried it and then the p4 patch on that 3Dfx version I have installed and both correctly fixed the game. However, neitherone works with any of the other versions -- a few will patch (not 1.0 with either patch, however; I'm not sure if the cpuid patch works with 1.0+2.0 either. It does when you add some of the other patches though... it supports more exes than the p4 patch for sure.), but when I try to run them the game opens the graphics option menu (with like two options). When I click 'start' it just closes and nothing happens. Clearly, the game is not just incompatible with my P4, but with my GeForce2 as well... so I guess I'm stuck with the 3Dfx emulation.

Which would be fine if it worked. However, even with the newest version of dgVoodoo I still have no success. The Direct3D settings, or the Autodetect setting (which surely chooses direct3d), do not work! It is very bizarre and makes no sense, but when I choose Direct3D in dgVoodoo and try to run Pod I just get one Pod logo and then a crash. And in RGB Emulation, Pod runs... but all of the texture are black and the game is utterly unusable. It's SO frusterating to be able to run pod and go through the menus and not be able to play the game!

A Black Falcon
:roll: it seems i have the exact same problem as you. i'm on P4 an a geforce4 mx card. POD crashes 95% of the time i run it. :? so is the RGB emulation having black textures. hm how do you use 3Dfx emulation?

the only running exe of POD on me comp is the D3d with mmx one.
Répondre