How i got Pod to work on a p4 system

News from IO
Répondre
Valis

How i got Pod to work on a p4 system

Message par Valis »

Rob asked me to describe what i did ,so here it is!!

this dgvoodoo version is 1.30c

DONT FORGET TO DO COMPATIBILTY MODE ON INSTALL OF CD SETUP.EXE,I USED WIN95,SAME FOR INSTALLED POD EXE FILE!!!

First,put glide wrapper in to fool pod into a 3dfx install,install pod!!!![duh!]i had gold version so all i had to do was run the 3dfx patch,[twice!!]
then i copied dgvoodoo.exe & dgvoodoo.vxd and glide2x.dll & glide2x.ovl
to windows/system32 folder. :)
then i copied glide2x.dll,glide2x.ovl to Pod folder,not sure if this helps but i did it any ways.Keep the dgvoodoosetup.exe in your main pod folder!
tried to run it wud not work,ran the p4 patcher and MAGIC it worked!!!!
OH! and dont forget to put your vsync on!! to slow POD down,what an easy fix to slow pod eh??we were dummies lol.
AND dont forget 16 bit desktop for POD,also run the exe file in folder
icon wont work.

THIS WAS DONE ON A ASUS BOARD WITH A 2.4 RUNNING AT 2.88,GFORCE fx5700,1 gig of mem

any 1 need help ICQ me!!!need file? same!, icq me
Dernière modification par Valis le 15 août 2004 17:17, modifié 2 fois.
Invité

Message par Invité »

I wish mine would do that... :(

A Black Falcon
Vortex

Message par Vortex »

Unfortunately it won't work for me. I can't even get passed the installation properly. It won't let me install the 3dfx version, despite de wrapper :-(
Razil44

Message par Razil44 »

I think you have forgotten to copy the glide driver in system32. Have a look at the new page, there you can get the link. It is called glide.exe. Copy the files in the system32 dictionary, and it should be able to install the 3dfx.exe.

Razil ;) :wc danger:
Vortex

Message par Vortex »

I already did that and it didn't work.
grokon

Message par grokon »

For me the POD P$ patch failed ... it just said something like "Unknown File" when I selected the installed Podx3dfx.exe file :(

Have to try again !
Valis

Message par Valis »

r u making sure u use compatibility mode [win95 mode] on setup.exe on cd install and i forgot,put the p4 patcher in the pod folder
Invité

Message par Invité »

The P4 patch did work on the file (only for the Pod 2.0 + 3Dfx patch progression though), but all that happens when I launch the game is the first Ubisoft logo and it closes. :(

A Black Falcon
Vortex

Message par Vortex »

Valis a écrit :and i forgot,put the p4 patcher in the pod folder
I did use compatibility mode, but I guess the above was probably the reason it didn't work. I'll try that once I get home.
grokon

Message par grokon »

Valis a écrit :r u making sure u use compatibility mode [win95 mode] on setup.exe on cd install and i forgot,put the p4 patcher in the pod folder
Hi Valis,

yes, I did that ... the only thing I did not, is to also set the Win95 compatibility on this P4 POD patcher ... have to try that too !
Valis

Message par Valis »

the p4 patcher will only work on the 3dfx exe.
maybe u can rename d3d exe and try that with p4 patcher

:?
NicoDE

Message par NicoDE »

Just for the record...

If you get "[POD Fatal error] geSstWinOpen error" ... run dgVoodooSetup and set 'Global / Screen mode' to 'Windowed mode'.

Mobile AMD Athlon 64 2800+ (1.8 Ghz), 2 GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 AGP (0x4E50), 128 MB
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2

Also the intro video might crash POD, just skip it ASAP.
Bandie

Message par Bandie »

grokon a écrit :For me the POD P$ patch failed ... it just said something like "Unknown File" when I selected the installed Podx3dfx.exe file :(

Have to try again !
Hello Grokon, use the patched exe of the pod gold version.
You can download the working patched exe here:
http://www.berlinrc.de/pod/download.html
NicoDE

Message par NicoDE »

...or try http://www.bendlins.de/nico/pod/podcpuid.zip (6 KB)

For Intel CPUs, setting the Model number to 6 should fix the problem.
For AMD CPUs, setting the Family to 5 and Model to 6 should work.

If the patch doesn't recognize your POD binary (code elements found = 0), drop me an email to nicode@gmx.net
NicoDE

Message par NicoDE »

NicoDE a écrit :For Intel CPUs, setting the Model number to 6 should fix the problem.
Should be: Family number to 6 :)
Invité

Message par Invité »

Yeah, that P4 patch is annoying... for me (even with the newer version of it) it ONLY works with the 3Dfx patch. Which is a problem because I can't get dgVoodoo to work correctly. I've tried almost everything else I can think of (tried to patch after each step)... Pod 1.0, + 2.0 patch, + 24mb direct3ddx5 patch, + force feedpack patch (also tried this patch after 2.0 patch (ie without a 24mb patch applied) -- that setup created a exe that the patcher would recognize (and supposedly patch), but Pod still just did nothing when I tried to run the exe...), + gameservice patch... no combonation of those patches created an exe that would actually run Pod. And as I said dgVoodoo gives me problems... bah. Will that cpuid thing fix my problems here and let me just run the d3ddx5 patch? that'd be great...

A Black Falcon
NicoDE

Message par NicoDE »

If you're referring to my Pod cpuid patch:
If the patch doesn't recognize your POD binary (code elements found = 0), drop me an email to nicode@gmx.net
Invité

Message par Invité »

Hmm... I think that that cpuid patch works, actually. I tried it and then the p4 patch on that 3Dfx version I have installed and both correctly fixed the game. However, neitherone works with any of the other versions -- a few will patch (not 1.0 with either patch, however; I'm not sure if the cpuid patch works with 1.0+2.0 either. It does when you add some of the other patches though... it supports more exes than the p4 patch for sure.), but when I try to run them the game opens the graphics option menu (with like two options). When I click 'start' it just closes and nothing happens. Clearly, the game is not just incompatible with my P4, but with my GeForce2 as well... so I guess I'm stuck with the 3Dfx emulation.

Which would be fine if it worked. However, even with the newest version of dgVoodoo I still have no success. The Direct3D settings, or the Autodetect setting (which surely chooses direct3d), do not work! It is very bizarre and makes no sense, but when I choose Direct3D in dgVoodoo and try to run Pod I just get one Pod logo and then a crash. And in RGB Emulation, Pod runs... but all of the texture are black and the game is utterly unusable. It's SO frusterating to be able to run pod and go through the menus and not be able to play the game!

A Black Falcon
BJ

Message par BJ »

i think that the easiest way for solving all these probs is the following:
buy or build up a small comp with all that "old" stuff like Voodoo3 graphics adapter, pentium 3 with maybe 450-750mhz and so on. as OS chose win98se. this is best for playing "old" games beside POD. it is cheap cause all the parts you can buy on ebay or somewhere else. you have maximum :D fun and least stress :evil:
this is my personal solution.
greetz BJ
Leadbest

Message par Leadbest »

BJ a écrit : buy or build up a small comp with all that "old" stuff ... ...this is my personal solution.
greetz BJ
This is my solution too, using a sweet KVM switch to toggle between 3 different machines.

Ive found my best POD playing performance, ghost-wise, was on an AMD K6-III 450Mhz with my Voodoo2 card. Always seems to give me a better elapsed time than any other machine.

Yea... *sniff*
Répondre